More time – less stress… The magic key to your success!
As well as several other countries, I lived in Spain for several years, what a fantastic, rewarding experience – lovely people, beautiful country – full of passion and energy. You really can feel the heat of the sun and passion of life just running through your blood!
The Spanish have such a hard working attitude, a willingness to ‘get stuck in’ and do things immediately so that once finished successfully they can give free rein to their wonderful focus on enjoyment, their energy and love of life. Just remembering it as I write this, brings a smile to my face and a flow of energy pumps through my veins!
The key proverb that they live by:
- Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week…
So very true!
How many of us say I’ll do it tomorrow. Then the next day, Oh I haven’t enough time, it’s too big a project, it’s complicated, I just need to finish this first… and I’ll do it tomorrow!
But – the list of things to do tomorrow gets longer and longer, tomorrow never comes and we put more and more pressure on ourselves. We lose time, become more stressed and push the possibility of successful results – and fulfilment – well out the door…
Why do we do this? It can be because we feel overwhelmed by the project to hand, that great bugbear procrastination or simply we are disorganised.
What is the remedy? Organisation, prioritisation, focus…
– And it is so simple!
Dale Carnegie famously said “Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.”
When we get the hard jobs out of the way first, it has several excellent effects on us:
We feel justifiably pleased with ourselves for doing it which boosts our energy and self-esteem. At the same time we reduce our stress levels immediately because this nightmarish task is finished and doesn’t have to be worried about any more.
Everything afterwards seems like a piece of cake, quick, easy and manageable… And, because we have got the biggest, hardest item out of the way and boosted our energy while doing it, we are on a roll and end up completely more things than anticipated and with time to spare at the end of it
– So what do we do with the time we have saved? Give it to ourselves to spend on our passions and interests.
Time free for us = increase in our pleasure in life = fulfilment!
‘Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”
– H. Jackson Brown
ACTION: What are the first steps?
Here is how to do it easily and successfully:
- Write your to do list! Every evening spend the last 15 minutes of your working day in writing your to do list.
- Write it on a piece of paper – not on anything electronic. You need it to be physical, in front of you, visual, keeping you focused and motivated.
- Write a maximum of five essential things that will make a significant difference to your workload, efficiency, successful results and stress levels.
- Now cross off two items – the two that have least impact on your progress.
- Prioritisethe 3 that are left so you do the largest and most difficult first.
- Attach the todo list to your computer, pin it on the fridge – wherever it is going to jump out at you first thing in the morning and keep you on track throughout the day.
- Cross off each item as you complete it and give yourself a 10-minute break just to think about the benefits of having got it out of the way, how good you feel about completing it, the reduction in your stress levels and the added energy you now have for the next task. (This is important – you need to appreciate yourself and this new feeling of power, energy and satisfaction).
- Do not be distracted by other tasks that are not on your todo list – you can add them to a separate list for action AFTER your todo list is completed…
Give yourself a gold star and a big pat on the back for your super efficiency and leave work satisfied with a job well done, relaxed in the knowledge that you don’t need to think – or worry – about anything!
Now you can focus fully on enjoying your time spent on your passions, doing exactly what you want with a clear head and a happy smile!
Email me to let me know what changes this makes to your day, how it helps your stress and what you can do for your own pleasure now you have the time free for you! I would love to hear from you.
Get updates, strategies and tips, events and interviews...
More To Explore
Today we welcome Valerie Fridland, professor of sociolinguistics and at the University of Nevada, Language Expert for Psychology Today, author of upcoming book ‘Like Literally Dude’
Today’s topic is about Creating Coherent Teams with my guest Jennifer K Hill, Evolutionary Leader, CEO, Entrepreneur, Author, Speaker, TV & Radio Host We will
Today’s guest is Paul Davis – Award winning Consultant, Author, Speaker, Advisor. We will be discussing: The idea of purpose and living by it –
Today’s guest is Charles Vogl – Author, speaker and advisor – thought leader for the Google School for Leaders and whose work is used to